To interpret the Doctrine of Ethos idea of the ancient Greeks and apply it to contemporary music. Must be at least 200 words. Please put a word count at the end of your post or you lose 5 points.videoLinks to an external site.
Like most people, the Greeks were music lovers and had skilled musicians in their society who played a variety of instruments.videoLinks to an external site.
Those steeped in the philosophy of the time (like Plato and Aristotle), believed music had the power to influence human morality and healthLinks to an external site.. As Gloria K. Fiero stated in her book The Humanistic Tradition, Book 1, This argument, often referred to as the Doctrine of Ethos, held that some (musical) modes strengthened the will whereas others undermined it and thus damaged the development of moral character. Check out the physical and mental health claimsLinks to an external site. made by this music example from YouTube, and the other music suggestions located on the right side.
Briefly explain your initial reaction this doctrine. Where might you agree and disagree with this idea?
Explore this work of Susan Alexjander.Links to an external site. Her music compositions are based on the sounds of micro and macro phenomenon. In your own words, describe your reaction to and reflection on at least one recording and one of her big ideas.
Your Choice: Pick three favorite genres of music, or your favorite artists from three different genres, and apply this theory. Use the Greek Doctrine of Ethos idea to support your own personal perspective on the possible positive or negative influence of your chosen music on human mental/moral and physical health. Make a well supported and case, with details, for why each song you chose might potentially have a positive (or negative) effect on these parts of our humanity. I encourage you to watch the film below. It can be watched on various streaming services.
Here is an example of what you might do:
I applied the Greek Doctrine of Ethos to three different types of music/musicians and came up with a few ideas about how it might impact human mental/moral behavior and physical health.
Ayub Ogadas traditional Kenyan music, especially this one song, is calming and contemplative. I think his music could promote a meditative, healing state of mind, perhaps good for psychological and/or physical benefits. We know the mind and body are connected when it comes to our overall health. Music can help lower blood pressure, reduce stress, and help people recall distant memories. The film Alive Inside provided lots of scientifically based research to support these claims.videoLinks to an external site.
The Reverend Horton Heat Trio plays a rockabilly and punk inspired type of music that might simply make you move which is good for physical health. The best advice Ive heard for staying young or healthy is to keep moving! Do some research on the terms ekstasis, mania/Links to an external site.enthousiasmosLinks to an external site.. You might even lose your Self and experience a potential psychologically and physically pleasurable ecstatic stateLinks to an external site..videoLinks to an external site.
Metallicas music is categorized as Metal, a genre which is used by people to express aggression while others see it as an outlet for any built up emotions. Perhaps it can be seen as a cathartic form of music that helps you purge strong emotions, returning you to a healthier physiological state after.videoLinks to an external site.
Do you need any assistance with this question?
Send us your paper details now
We’ll find the best professional writer for you!
"We offer the best custom paper writing services. We have done this question before we can also do it for you."
- 100% non-plagiarized Papers
- 24/7 /365 Service Available
- Affordable Prices
- Any Paper, Urgency, and Subject
- Will complete your papers in 6 hours
- On-time Delivery
- Money-back and Privacy guarantees
- Unlimited Amendments upon request
- Satisfaction guarantee
Our Service Charter
1. Professional & Expert Writers: Experts Essays only hires the best. Our writers are specially selected and recruited, after which they undergo further training to perfect their skills for specialization purposes. Moreover, our writers are holders of masters and Ph.D. degrees. They have impressive academic records, besides being native English speakers.
2. Top Quality Papers: Our customers are always guaranteed of papers that exceed their expectations. All our writers have +5 years of experience. This implies that all papers are written by individuals who are experts in their fields. In addition, the quality team reviews all the papers before sending them to the customers.
3. Plagiarism-Free Papers: All papers provided by Experts Essays are written from scratch. Appropriate referencing and citation of key information are followed. Plagiarism checkers are used by the Quality assurance team and our editors just to double-check that there are no instances of plagiarism.
4. Timely Delivery: Time wasted is equivalent to a failed dedication and commitment. Experts Essays are known for the timely delivery of any pending customer orders. Customers are well informed of the progress of their papers to ensure they keep track of what the writer is providing before the final draft is sent for grading.
5. Affordable Prices: Our prices are fairly structured to fit in all groups. Any customer willing to place their assignments with us can do so at very affordable prices. In addition, our customers enjoy regular discounts and bonuses.
6. 24/7 Customer Support: At Experts Essays, we have put in place a team of experts who answer all customer inquiries promptly. The best part is the ever-availability of the team. Customers can make inquiries anytime.