Assignment: The Trials of Gabriel Fernandez
Guidelines and Prompt
This semester we will be watching the Netflix docuseries, The Trials of Gabriel Fernandez, in class,
however, if you miss class you will be required to watch it on your own time (links to the episodes will be
provided in Canvas). Due to the pandemic, we will be transitioning your volunteer assignment
requirements to this docuseries review assignment. This assignment will require a combination of
research of LA County Child Welfare Services Department, examination of all other people involved in
Gabriels life, along with reflections of the course outline, class lectures, and small group discussions.
Your Assignment Must Consist of the Following Sections:
1. Cover Page
2. Agency Introduction
a. What is the LA DCFS mission statement? You will find a lot of information using the
following link: https://dcfs.lacounty.gov/about/who-we-are/
b. Describe the target population DCFS serves in detail, including pertinent information
related to age, gender, socio-economic status, race, culture, ethnicity, etc. (What
population does the Department of Child and Family Services Serve)
c. Does the agency respect self-determination? Describe how the agency does or does not
d. Give one specific example to support your point of view.
3. Social Work Theories and Approach Choose one of the following social work theories or
approaches and apply them to the work being done at The Department of Child and Family
Services (DCFS). (Which theory do DCFS social workers utilize in their work?) The Strengths
Perspective, Ecological Systems Theory, Systems Theory, Person-in-Environment
a. Define the theory/approach you chose
b. Give an example from the Gabriel Fernandez Docuseries that either illustrates DCFS
using the theory/approach you chose, or an example of how they did not use it.
4. Social Work Interventions Choose one of the following social work interventions: Individual
Casework, Case Management, Individual or family counseling, Group work, Client
advocacy, Community organizing (to include outreach work and attempts to change social
policy or legislation)
a. Define the social work intervention you chose
b. Give an example of how the intervention was used, or how it could have been used to
better assist Gabriel Fernandez
c. Were these interventions effective or ineffective? Why or why not?
i. Be sure to support your statements with at least one example from each of the
interventions that you have chosen.
d. Which NASW code of ethics did authorities who interacted with Kalief Browder violate?
i. Define the code of ethics you chose
ii. State which authority you are referring to
iii. Give an example of how it was violated by the authority figure you chose
a. If your supervisor instructed you to do something against your code of ethics, how would
you respond and what actions would you take?
b. If you were assigned Gabriel to your caseload what would you do to support his health
c. What areas of Gabriels life would you make sure were being addressed and why?
6. Assessment What did you learn about yourself from watching this docuseries? After completing
this assignment I realized (feelings, thoughts, experiences)? Did anything show up for you
personally or what about this case was challenging? What did you learn about yourself?
7. References Page
You are expected to use a minimum of 3 quotations/citations from the Netflix Docuseries The Trials
of Gabriel Fernandez, course/outline, to define and support the use of social work theories, approaches,
values, and practice methods in this assignment.
Video Submission: Video submissions must be a recording of you speaking presentation style. You
must use/provide a PowerPoint a minimum of 10 slides No more than 30 words per slide (That way
you cannot simply read off the slides). Minimum length 15 minutes however, I expect thorough
answers. Must include References Page slide (Making for a total of 11 slides).
Paper Submission: APA format, 12pt. Times New Roman font, double spaced, & one-inch margins.
Minimum 8 pages Maximum 9 pages.
Paper Formatting: APA has very specific formatting requirements. Your paper MUST include the
following topic headers in italic font. The paper will have the following sections, in the order provided
below. Topic headers are essentially titles of each section, written in as follows:
1. Cover Page
3. Agency Introduction
4. Social Work Theories and Approach
5. Social Work Interventions
7. References Page
1. There will be one References section for the paper, located at the end of the paper, in APA
format. A sample APA format References page is available with a sample APA format paper
located in Canvas under Files.
Do you need any assistance with this question?
Send us your paper details now
We’ll find the best professional writer for you!
"We offer the best custom paper writing services. We have done this question before we can also do it for you."
- 100% non-plagiarized Papers
- 24/7 /365 Service Available
- Affordable Prices
- Any Paper, Urgency, and Subject
- Will complete your papers in 6 hours
- On-time Delivery
- Money-back and Privacy guarantees
- Unlimited Amendments upon request
- Satisfaction guarantee
Our Service Charter
1. Professional & Expert Writers: Experts Essays only hires the best. Our writers are specially selected and recruited, after which they undergo further training to perfect their skills for specialization purposes. Moreover, our writers are holders of masters and Ph.D. degrees. They have impressive academic records, besides being native English speakers.
2. Top Quality Papers: Our customers are always guaranteed of papers that exceed their expectations. All our writers have +5 years of experience. This implies that all papers are written by individuals who are experts in their fields. In addition, the quality team reviews all the papers before sending them to the customers.
3. Plagiarism-Free Papers: All papers provided by Experts Essays are written from scratch. Appropriate referencing and citation of key information are followed. Plagiarism checkers are used by the Quality assurance team and our editors just to double-check that there are no instances of plagiarism.
4. Timely Delivery: Time wasted is equivalent to a failed dedication and commitment. Experts Essays are known for the timely delivery of any pending customer orders. Customers are well informed of the progress of their papers to ensure they keep track of what the writer is providing before the final draft is sent for grading.
5. Affordable Prices: Our prices are fairly structured to fit in all groups. Any customer willing to place their assignments with us can do so at very affordable prices. In addition, our customers enjoy regular discounts and bonuses.
6. 24/7 Customer Support: At Experts Essays, we have put in place a team of experts who answer all customer inquiries promptly. The best part is the ever-availability of the team. Customers can make inquiries anytime.