Note: Be sure to read/listen to the materials in order, because I am providing background info which will allow deeper engagement. We are very lucky that a rich archive of resources has been created in connection to a 2021 PBS project remembering Wells, so the content this week includes very important archival materials. However, I also want to encourage you to use self-care in reviewing the materials and let me know if you are concerned about specific triggers related to the topic. I have provided alternative texts and options as needed in the past.
BACKGROUND and MATERIALS
Read this hand-out connecting Wells, King, and Kant.(attached below)
Watch the 2021 WTTW film: Ida B. Wells: A Chicago Stories Special Documentary.
Follow up by reading ONE of the resources below.Read Exposing the Thread-Bare Lie: How Ida B. Wells Used Investigative Journalism to Uncover the Truth About Lynching | Ida B. Wells | Chicago Stories | WTTW Chicago. This includes primary materials of images and writing from Wells. Some of the images are graphic, but you have to click-through to view them.
Read Joy Jamess The Quartet in the Political Persona of Ida B. Wells. James is a contemporary Black feminist philosopher who unfolds the importance of Wells as a political thinker in 4 parts.
Read Tommy J. Curry, The Fortune of Wells. Curry is also an influential contemporary philosopher; here he connects Wells to the intellectual tradition of militant resistance to racist violence. This reading also helps us expand our understanding of the power of friendship in moral development.
All of our readings have placed great emphasis on the importance of justice and the rule of law. These are seen as vital to the principles of humanity (Kant) and the defense of our mutual respect, dignity, and fundamental autonomy and freedom as persons. These are also seen as vital in our fostering of Kings beloved community, a vision of justice, but also of love and non-violence. He was despised for holding out hope for true integration, the protection of all, and a path of growth for every child not marred by hate. Finally, Wells was driven by principles of truth, fairness, justice before the law, self-determination, and self-defense. Wells allied with a great number of white antiracists and had deep, intimate friendships, but she first wanted Black Americans to speak dangerous truths, demand justice, and organize for their own protection and felt this was the precursor to meeting the white establishment as true equals and from a position of power.
Write 2-3 paragraphs referencing the film and directly include 2-3 quotes from the reading you choose above. After what youve learned this week, please share how Wells has added to your understanding of the need for universal moral standards, the necessity of disobeying immoral laws, or the moral argument for armed self and community defense. You do not need to draw full conclusions or come down on one sidewe should be more interested in how her example adds nuance and raises new questions as we consider the resistance of those denied human rights.
Please answer the prompt in VERY SIMPLE LANGUAGE.
Make sure to watch the film and go over the readings prior to starting and follow the prompt to answer the question. Max length- 2 pages, min. length- 1 page.
No plagiarism should be found. Let me know if you can access all the links. Thank you!
Do you need any assistance with this question?
Send us your paper details now
We’ll find the best professional writer for you!
"We offer the best custom paper writing services. We have done this question before we can also do it for you."
- 100% non-plagiarized Papers
- 24/7 /365 Service Available
- Affordable Prices
- Any Paper, Urgency, and Subject
- Will complete your papers in 6 hours
- On-time Delivery
- Money-back and Privacy guarantees
- Unlimited Amendments upon request
- Satisfaction guarantee
Our Service Charter
1. Professional & Expert Writers: Experts Essays only hires the best. Our writers are specially selected and recruited, after which they undergo further training to perfect their skills for specialization purposes. Moreover, our writers are holders of masters and Ph.D. degrees. They have impressive academic records, besides being native English speakers.
2. Top Quality Papers: Our customers are always guaranteed of papers that exceed their expectations. All our writers have +5 years of experience. This implies that all papers are written by individuals who are experts in their fields. In addition, the quality team reviews all the papers before sending them to the customers.
3. Plagiarism-Free Papers: All papers provided by Experts Essays are written from scratch. Appropriate referencing and citation of key information are followed. Plagiarism checkers are used by the Quality assurance team and our editors just to double-check that there are no instances of plagiarism.
4. Timely Delivery: Time wasted is equivalent to a failed dedication and commitment. Experts Essays are known for the timely delivery of any pending customer orders. Customers are well informed of the progress of their papers to ensure they keep track of what the writer is providing before the final draft is sent for grading.
5. Affordable Prices: Our prices are fairly structured to fit in all groups. Any customer willing to place their assignments with us can do so at very affordable prices. In addition, our customers enjoy regular discounts and bonuses.
6. 24/7 Customer Support: At Experts Essays, we have put in place a team of experts who answer all customer inquiries promptly. The best part is the ever-availability of the team. Customers can make inquiries anytime.